Saturday, 29 November 2014

Link feast - psychosis special

Our pick of the best psychology and neuroscience links from the past week or so (psychosis special):

Understanding Psychosis and Schizophrenia
The British Psychological Society's Division of Clinical Psychology (DCP) publishes a major new report that concludes: "psychosis can be understood and treated in the same way as other psychological problems such as anxiety or shyness."

Attitudes To Psychosis on All in the Mind
The editor of the new DCP report, Anne Cooke, was among the guests on the latest episode of Radio 4's flagship mental health programme.

Delusions and Hallucinations May Be the Keys That Unlock Psychosis
"The symptoms of psychosis were once dismissed as the meaningless product of diseased brains," Daniel and Jason Freeman reflect on the new DCP report on their Guardian blog.

Is Schizophrenia a Real Illness?
At The Conversation, Huw Green provides some historical context for the debates and controversy surrounding the concept of schizophrenia.

Understanding Psychosis and Schizophrenia: a Critique by Laws, Langford and Huda
The Mental Elf Blog publishes criticisms of the report that focus on: the evidence for CBT for psychosis; the use of medication in treating psychosis; and the limitations of a purely psychological model of the condition. Also check out Vaughan Bell's response in the comments, and this blog post from Henry Strick.


Building healthier hospitals
Can the way hospitals are designed improve the experiences of staff and visitors, and even the recovery of patients? Psychologist Lucy Maddox finds out for the Wellcome Trust's Mosaic magazine (see also).

Women Scientists in Psychology – Time for Action
Why is there a gender imbalance in the academic field of psychology, and what can be done to address it, ask Fionnuala Murphy, Dorothy Bishop, and Natasha Sigala in The Psychologist magazine.

Do Dreams Occur in Slow Motion?
David Robson explores some intriguing new research involving lucid dreamers.

The Taliban's Psychiatrist
"I used to treat the Taliban as human beings, same as I would treat my other patients, … even though I knew they had caused all the problems in our society," Nader Alemi tells the BBC. "Sometimes, they would weep and I would comfort them."

Face Blindness – When You Can’t Recognise a Familiar Face
Prize-winning science writing from Kate Szell.

Post compiled by Christian Jarrett (@psych_writer) for the BPS Research Digest.


Research Digest said...

I totally agree with this - in fact I was talking to a good friend the other day about how I'm almost using tattooing to replace self-harm. I was addicted to self-harm a couple of years ago and whilst I managed to stop myself when I was about 17, I always found it hard to cope. I had my first tattoo on my 18th birthday, as soon as I legally could, and that filled the void that was left behind by my resisting the temptation to cut. It feels the same to me, and it gives me the same release of negative emotions. My self-worth is very low and my favourite parts of myself are the parts I have tattooed. I turned 19 last month and I've had 5 tattoos in the last year, three of which are fairly large. The most recent is a half sleeve which should take about three day sessions to finish. I love the pain of being tattooed. I'm addicted to it in the same way I was addicted to cutting myself. I love my tattoos far more than my scars though - they're beautiful expressions of myself. I just find the process of getting a tattoo very enjoyable and I just want to experience that again.

Research Digest said...

Emotion is hard to define. Everybody has their own way of reacting to situations. James-Lange theory states that the situation causes the action and your perception of the action is the emotion. The evaluation of the situation is the cognitive aspect of emotion. But the Schachter and Singers theory states that the physiological state determines the intensity of emotion and cognitive assessment of the situation identifies the type of emotion. I think both of these theories are right. I think the most important thing that is a key in emotions is whats actually causing them and how strong they are which also effects how long they will last.

Research Digest said...

I believe one major reason sadness is a longer lasting emotion is because when we are saddened by something it usually because of a loss. If your girlfriend or wife leaves you for another person that is a feeling that is deep and personal and is not easily forgotten or over come. If my team wins the championship that is great and we celebrate but after a day we need to get focused on winning next year, we still feel the joy but the next step and focus on the future goal takes over that joy. When something saddens you like a death in the family there is not "next game" to take your focus of the feeling of being sad, and that feeling of loss is deeper than a feeling of joy.

Research Digest said...

High school students? They're whole emotional life is 3-5 years.

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.